Thursday, December 2, 2010

Is Christ Mentioned?

Christ was mentioned about 45 times during  Reverend Borghardt's sermon.

Some of the driving verbs I caught were: set apart, died, rose, slain, took sin, makes holy, is lamb, puts, wants, got, gives, says, came, makes, slows, grabs, holds, smiles, reigns, and lives.

Edward’s sermon had a theme of fear. He was speaking fiercely about the wrath and power of God. It was very harsh and realistic. Although it did not mention the name of Christ too often, it was very realistic. He uses fear to make people want to become part of our faith. Borghardt’s sermon had a more compassionate theme. It was talking about the grace that God has given us. And what he has done is doing and will do for us. They have extremely contrasting themes, but they both convey a true message to bring people into the faith.

6 comments:

  1. marina, i liked how you used the word "compassionate". that was a good choice of word to use to describe the theme of Rev. Borghardt’s sermon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello... this is me :D

    I agree with your statements about each of their sermons. I like the words that you chose to describe each of the sermons. "Speaking fiercely..." and "harsh and realistic."

    I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you when you said "They have extremely contrasting themes, but they both convey a true message to bring people into the faith" because your right that they have very true messages. Even though we do not think God should be portrayed like he was in Edward's sermon, it actually is the real way he deals with sinners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saying that it was realistic is a different view that I hadn't taken on it. It makes sense that although harsh he was telling the truth in what the outcome really is for non believers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I am lost for words. This blog post has inspired me to be a better writer. I agree with both of your central themes for the sermons. Jesus is great! God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog post nearly brought me to tears. You did a wonderful job. I like how you contrasted both but still said they are related through a central theme.

    ReplyDelete